Elephant Car Hire Terms and Conditions
Our company: Elephant rent a car ltd was established in 1982 and it is considered one of the most reliable companies in the car hire sector in Cyprus with a fleet of more than 300 vehicles in different ranges and models. We respect consumer’s rights and we are committed to providing quality cars and service for the best value for their money. We clearly display all applicable charges that our customers will pay, mandatory and optional, as we do not believe in hidden charges and terms, so customers can always be assured to receive the very best car rental experience through our high-quality vehicles and high standard of service.
We offer services that any other car hire company in Cyprus just can't offer as we include in the price given on booking a range of car hire insurances, which are designed to meet our customer's needs. Our objective is to give economy car hire rates with personal attention to each and every customer and we are committed to provide the holiday car hire of your personal preference with the service and care you deserve and try to fit it in your budget because we believe in giving more for less.
All rental prices given through our webpage include:
- Collision Damage Waiver on accident with another vehicle.
- Full insurance with Zero excess liability on accident with another vehicle.
- Rented car fire insurance (not for customer belongings)
- Rented car theft insurance (not for customer belongings)
- Rented car windscreen insurance
- Rented car tires insurance
- Road assistance for any mechanical problems
- Unlimited mileage
- Road taxes & vat
- Cyprus airports service charge
1. Cars selected for hire: Vehicles are booked by group and not by specific model and are subject to availability. Our company reserves the right to upgrade your vehicle without prior notice, if the model/group requested becomes unavailable for reasons unforeseen. The rate will remain the same as originally quoted. However, we do consider your personal preferences and we will try our very best to provide you with the vehicle chosen. To insure your personal preferences are met early bookings are recommended.
2. Vehicle capacity: The number of people and luggage capacity given on our webpage is a guide only. While most of the vehicles given on our fleet can carry from 4 to 8 people comfortably then again, some vehicles have limited boot space. Vehicles luggage capacity depends on the luggage size, shape and from the material made (plastic or fabric). If there are only 2 to 3 people travelling you may be able to use the back seat for extra luggage space however this may not be possible if child seats are required as extra seating room is occupied. In the case that all the vehicle seats are occupied you should consider either plan to travel light or book a bigger size vehicle as it is more comfortable for passengers and suitable to carry your personal belongings. If you are in any doubt we can advise you accordingly which vehicle is the most suitable for you in order to avoid any disappointment on delivery. Have in mind that vehicles are manufactured to carry people hence the seats and safety seatbelts provided.
3. Excess luggage transfer: This optional extra service is obtainable for convenience reasons only as it provides assistance for any excess luggage. We can offer transfer for your excess luggage to your chosen destination. Whether you are travelling with golf clubs, baby prams, wheel chairs, mobility scooters or just excess luggage it’s no problem for us and is hassle free for you. This optimal service must be booked in advance. You can add this optional service to your rental on the 3rd step of your online booking (refer to paragraph 20/3).
4. Occupied northern part of Cyprus: You may take the rental vehicle to the occupied northern part of Cyprus, but you should be aware that you are fully responsible for any accidents, damages, recovery or additional costs that may arise. Our insurance company do not provide any insurance coverage for the rented vehicle or third-party claims for the occupied northern part of Cyprus due to political reasons. Even if you follow the reporting guidelines in case of an accident to the occupied northern part you should be aware that northern part authorities are not recognised by the Cyprus government therefore the insurance becomes invalid (refer to paragraph 19/a).
5. Fuel policy: All rental vehicles from our company are delivered with a ½ tank of fuel approximately. The cost of fuel is charged in the same rate as in petrol stations across the island. Fuel is not included in the rental cost and must be paid on top upon delivery. The rental vehicle must be returned with an empty tank at the end of the rental. Please note that the cost of any unused fuel is not refundable.
6. Optional extras: We are able to supply child safety seats upon request with our vehicles. Be aware that child safety seats are mandatory in Cyprus. There are 3 types available: baby seats, booster seats and infant seats.
Please note that we carry standard types of child safety seats. Each seat costs €2 per day to hire, up to a maximum charge of €80 per rental. Be aware that due to insurance rules and regulations you will be required to fit the child seat yourself. You can add this optional extra to your rental on the 3rd step of your online booking (refer to paragraph 20/3).
We are also able to supply satellite navigation systems with Cyprus road maps upon request with our cars. Each navigation system costs €2 euro per day to hire up to a maximum charge of €120 per rental. You can add this optional extra to your rental on the 3rd step of your online booking (refer to paragraph 20/3).
7. Payment: All rental costs are payable on delivery in € currency by cash or bank card. The following credit or debit cards are accepted: MasterCard, Visa card, Euro card and Traveller card. American express (amex) and Maestro are not accepted.
Additionally, you have the option to prepay your car rental by bank transfer before the delivery date and benefit an extra 5% discount on the total cost. Bank details will be forward to you by email on request after online booking is submitted in order to benefit from the extra discount given for prepayments. Have in mind the additional 5% discount is given ONLY for prepayments by bank transfer. This extra discount is valid only for 7 days after online booking is submitted.
Furthermore, your booking enquiry form with a detailed breakdown of all charges and optional extras selected will be sent automatically to you after online booking is submitted (refer to paragraph 20/4).
8. Driver/Renters responsibility: When renting a vehicle, the driver/renter is responsible:
a. To inspect the rental vehicle before the rental period begins for any existing damage.
b. To take in mind all traffic regulations and comply with the country’s law.
c. For any traffic fines or recovery costs that may occur while the rented vehicle is in his/her possession.
d. For taking appropriate measures to secure and safeguard the rented vehicle until the completion of the rental period as given in print on the rental agreement.
e. To keep the rented vehicle interior as clean as possible, normal wear and tear is expected.
f. To contact the police, the auto insurance company and our company immediately in the event of an accident (refer to paragraph 14).
g. To contact the police, the auto insurance company and our company immediately in the case of theft of/to the rented vehicle (refer to paragraph 15/c).
h. To change the vehicle tyre in case of a puncture. All rental vehicles are equipped with a spare tyre and necessary tools (scissor jack and spanner). You should contact our company for tyre repairs on working days (Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 17:00).
i. To return the rental vehicle at its original condition as provided on delivery.
k. To read thoroughly the rental agreement given on delivery before signing.
The customer enters into the agreement voluntarily with full knowledge of its effects and with his/her signature agrees with the charges set and accepts full responsibility for the rental vehicle and its equipment until the completion of the rental period as given in print on the rental agreement.
9. Driving conditions: All drivers, main or additional regardless of age are obliged to hold a full valid driving license for at least 3 years.
Maximum driver’s age is 75 years old, although drivers over this age may still be eligible to hire a car depending on their state of health.
Minimum driver's age is 21 years old.
Drivers with driving experience less than 3 years are required to pay an extra insurance premium of €10 per day.
Drivers between 21-24 years are required to pay an extra insurance premium of €10 per day.
Drivers between 75-99 years are required to pay an extra insurance premium of €5 per day.
Extra drivers may obtain the right to drive the rental vehicle at an extra charge of €2 per day.
You can add any extra drivers to your rental on the 3rd step of your online booking (refer to paragraph 20/3).
10. Rental vehicle delivery: Our company provides vehicles without damage, however when unforeseen circumstances prevent this and a vehicle is rented out with existing damage, this damage will be recorded to the vehicle condition diagram given in print on the rental agreement before the rental period begins.
If the driver/renter notices any damage to the rental vehicle which is not recorded to the vehicle condition diagram upon delivery he or she must report the damage to our staff immediately in order to confirm and record the damage before the rental period begins.
Our company will not rent out vehicles with damage which in any way can be unsafe to drive or unfit for its purpose. The driver/renter has the right to refuse to conclude the rental agreement if the rental car is considered to be unsafe to drive.
11. Rental vehicle return: The vehicle must be returned in the same condition as it was delivered on the starting date of the rental agreement. If the vehicle is returned out of hours the customer will still be responsible for the vehicle until a member of staff will check in and inspect the vehicle. Any damage not recorded on the vehicle condition diagram given in print on the rental agreement on delivery is considered as new damage and the driver/renter will be held liable (refer to paragraph 15/d).
We additionally require that the vehicle must be returned with a clean interior, normal wear and tear is expected. If the vehicle interior is exceptionally dirty upon return or if there is damage to the seats, seat upholstery and carpets an additional charge for deep cleaning will be applied (refer to paragraph 8/e).
12. Vehicle condition diagram: The diagram given in print on the rental agreement indicates the condition of the vehicle at the starting date of the rental. Any existing damage to the rental vehicle will be recorded on the diagram before the rental period begins. Damages are recorded in a coding system using letters. An explanation to this coding system will be given in print on the rental agreement.
The diagram provided on the rental agreement is a true representation of the vehicle condition at the starting day of the rental and the driver/renter verifies and accepts this with his/her signature before the rental period begins. No adding, altering or deleting can be made to the vehicle condition diagram after rental agreement signing is completed.
The driver/renter has the right to refuse to sign the rental agreement if the vehicle condition diagram is not fully completed.
13. Rental agreement termination/refuse to conclude: The rental company has the right to refuse to conclude or terminate the rental agreement and take immediate possession of the rental vehicle:
a. If the driver/renter is acknowledged to be under the influence of alcohol, drugs or any other substances.
b. If the driver/renter drives the rented vehicle on unpaved road/non-tarmac/trail/off road which can be unfit for its purpose.
c. If the driver/renter disagrees with the rental agreement terms and conditions applied to every rental and every customer.
d. If the driver/renter is acknowledged using the rented vehicle irresponsibly or for any illegal purpose.
e. If the driver/renter intentionally causes damage to the rented vehicle and/or to third party.
f. If the driver/renter is acknowledged to be unfit to drive the rented vehicle and can pose a threat to the public or to a third party.
14. Collision damage waiver full insurance: CDW full insurance included in the rental cost shifts all responsibility for any extra charges from the driver/renter to the car rental company in case of an accident with another vehicle on the public road. This means that the car rental company waives the right to collect a high deductible from the driver/renter and most importantly it covers all the damages caused to the rental vehicle and third party therefore the driver/renter would not be responsible for any repair fees or additional charges in the case of a collision with another vehicle. Have in mind that this level of insurance provided covers ONLY damages and third-party claims in the case that the rental car is involved in an accident with another vehicle on the public road.
In the case of an accident with another vehicle on the public road, even if it is the authorised driver of the rented vehicle error which resulted in a collision, the renter/driver is fully covered by our insurance scheme with ZERO excess liability as long as the correct procedure as written below is followed.
a. Our insurance policy states that you are required to report the accident, regardless of the amount of damage. Vehicles involved must never be removed from the place of the accident until the accident report is completed either by the policemen or by the auto insurance representative attending.
b. Any accident with another vehicle where the damage is significant or not, must always be reported to the police and to the auto insurance company straight away and brief information must be provided of where the incident took place in order for them to attend the place of accident. Contact details will be given in print on the rental agreement.
c. Any accident where there is damage to property, third party or if someone is injured will require a police report. Even if the police report is completed for the car accident, you must also notify the auto insurance company. The police are not responsible to report the accident to the auto insurance company so it is very important that you should report this. Injury claims especially have a way of escalating very quickly, even when they appear minor at the scene.
If the renter/driver do not report the accident to the police and to the auto insurance company immediately and comply with the requirements under the country's law, the insurance will become invalid and the renter/driver can be held liable up to the market value of the vehicle and third-party claims. The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of damages and third-party claims.
The CDW full insurance with ZERO excess liability included is to protect you from the financial burden of an accident and third-party claims, but failure to follow the reporting guidelines as given above and comply with the requirements under the country’s law may mean that full insurance protection becomes invalid.
While other car rental companies charge extra for this level of insurance starting from €8 up to €15 per day and the customer is still liable for a very high deductible which can quickly escalate to tens of thousands of euros our customers on the other hand have an advantage as this level of insurance is included in the rental cost with no extra charge as we believe in giving more for less.
You should always have in mind that there are insurance limitations which mean that CDW full insurance protection becomes invalid (refer to paragraph 19).
Additionally, you should be aware that unexpected damages that may occur without the rented vehicle being involved in collision with another vehicle on the public road are not covered by the CDW full insurance protection as given above therefore you will be required to pay an excess. You can find out more on paragraph 15.
15. Excess liability: An excess is an amount of money you are required to pay towards a claim:
a. If the rented vehicle is damaged in a non-public road or damaged by driver’s negligence e.g. damages occurred in a car park, reverse in to a wall or stationary object, crash into a tree etc. In these cases, the driver/renter becomes responsible with an excess liability from €100 up to €500 (refer to paragraph 8/d). The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of damages.
b. For damages occurred to the rented vehicle while driven on unpaved road/no tarmac/trail/off road. In these cases, the driver/renter is responsible with an excess liability from €100 up to €500 (refer to paragraph 19/c). The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of damages.
c. Any theft of/to the rented vehicle must be reported immediately to the police, the auto insurance company and to our company. Have in mind that our representative will need to inspect the vehicle before it is moved. The theft insurance included is to protect you from the financial burden of any theft. Failure to follow the reporting guidelines means that the insurance provided becomes invalid and the driver/renter will be held responsible with an excess liability from €100 up to €500 (refer to paragraph 8/g). The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of theft.
d. In the case that the rented vehicle is returned with damage not recorded on the vehicle condition diagram as given in print on the rental agreement on delivery, the driver/renter will be held responsible with an excess liability from €100 up to €500 (refer to paragraph 10+11+12). The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of damages.
Any damage not recorded on the vehicle condition diagram as given in print on delivery on the rental agreement is considered new damage and the driver/renter will be held liable. Most vehicle damages can be determined by a visual check over the body, interior, tools and accessories of the vehicle (refer to paragraph 12).
In the event of damage to the rented vehicle our company will select the repairer. The repairs can be completed only by a licensed and authorised repairer who will carry out quality repairs using only genuine parts. For minor damage that do not require the replacement of a part or a panel the repairer will use a variety of repair tools in order to reinstate the vehicle to its original contours. Repairs to the vehicle will be carried out in a way to minimise your costs taking into account availability of parts and repairer workload.
High customer service is crucial for our company and we are committed to providing the same level of service to each and every one of our customers therefore we are obliged to repair our vehicles when damaged to ensure customer safety and satisfaction.
16. Excess liability reduction: After various customer requests for an extra safety package our customers have now the option to reduce their excess liability in case of unexpected damages and automatically shift a part or full of their responsibility to the rental company.
We have available 4 options for your excess reduction:
a. Reduce excess liability from €500 to €400 at an extra charge of €6 per day.
b. Reduce excess liability from €500 to €300 at an extra charge of €8 per day.
c. Reduce excess liability from €500 to €200 at an extra charge of €10 per day.
d. Reduce excess liability from €500 to € 0 at an extra charge of €12 per day.
It's difficult to know what is going to happen during your holidays but there is certainly a value to enjoying peace of mind while traveling.
In actual fact when your excess liability is reduced it saves you from having to pay out the whole amount of a claim in case of unexpected damages that may occur without the rented vehicle being involved in an accident.
You can request your excess reduction on the 3rd step of your online booking (refer to paragraph 20/3).
You should have in mind that even if you reduce the excess liability the security holding deposit is still needed as there are insurance limitations (refer to paragraph 19).
17. Security deposit: The security holding deposit is standard with all the car rental companies which safeguard the car rental company for any additional costs that may arise during the rental such as: unexpected damages that may occur without the rented vehicle being involved in collision with another vehicle on the public road, traffic fines, broken or lost car keys etc. We recommend adding this to your holiday budget as the security holding deposit is not included in the rental cost. Have in mind that you will not be able to use this amount during your holidays as this will be blocked/held (not withdrawn) on your bank card (credit or debit) until vehicle return. The security holding deposit will be unblocked/ released/ refunded on vehicle collection after inspection is completed by a member of our staff to ensure that the vehicle is returned at its original condition as provided on delivery.
The time it takes for the amount to be shown to the renter's account (if blocked on bank card) will depend on their banking institution rules and regulations. Normally renters should be able to see the amount in their account in approximately 2 to 7 working days. The unblock receipt can be forwarded to the renter by email if requested to present at their banking institution.
Renters that drive on the left side of the road (as in Cyprus) in their country must present as a guarantee on delivery a €200 security deposit until vehicle return.
Renters that drive on the right side of the road in their country must present as a guarantee on delivery a €500 security deposit as driving in Cyprus is on the left, therefore an extra risk is added to the rental company.
Drivers with driving experience less than 3 years or drivers between 20-24 years must present as a guarantee on delivery a €500 security deposit as an extra risk is added to the rental company.
The security deposit can be settled either by cash or bank card (credit or debit) in € currency. The following credit or debit cards are accepted: MasterCard, Visa card, Euro card and Traveller card.
While other car rental companies charge for the security deposit from €800 up to €5000 this depends from group car, on the other hand our customers have an advantage as we require the minimum amount which is the same for all group cars as we believe in giving more for less.
18. Independent car rental insurance: The rental company will not try to scare any customer into purchasing any extra insurance. Our customers have the advantage to purchase their own optional independent car rental insurance policy directly from Status Global Insurance in UK via their websites.
Status Global Insurance is a UK company grounded in providing quality products with integrity. The range of products offered by Status Global Insurance is distributed via more than 250 registered intermediaries across the UK and the European Economic Area (EEA) as well as direct to consumers via their website.
You can find out more at: http://statusglobalinsurance.com/insurance-products/car-rental-insurance/
Have in mind our customers have the right to purchase their own optional independent car rental excess insurance from any insurance company of their choice. The insurance company provided above is just a recommendation to customers.
Where the rental company will charge costs as appropriate the renter may reclaim these costs via their individual excess insurance. A detailed receipt will be given if requested with these costs for the reclaim.
19. Insurance limitations: no insurance cover is provided:
a. If the vehicle is driven into the occupied Northern part of Cyprus.
b. If the vehicle is driven under the influence of alcohol, drugs or any other substances.
c. If the vehicle is driven on unpaved road/non-tarmac/trail/off road which can be unfit for its purpose. Two-wheel drive vehicles are forbidden for off road driving.
d. If intentionally trying to damage the vehicle.
e. If failed to take in mind traffic regulations.
f. For lost or damaged vehicle keys. In this case the customer will be charged for the replacement key which can cost from €150 to €300 plus any associated transport costs. Vehicle keys are chip coded and are expensive to replace. The charges will be dependent on the actual key/device.
g. For unauthorised driving (drivers not stated on the rental agreement).
h. For any unreported accidents or theft (refer to paragraph 14+15/c for reporting guidelines).
i. For damages caused to the vehicle engine/gearbox/electronics due to customer negligence.
20. How to book your rental vehicle step by step:
1. Go to our car hire quotation form given in the home page. Add first the pick-up date, time and location you need the car to be delivered. Continue by adding drop off date, time and location of return. Submit your request by clicking “search” in order to see which vehicle best suits your needs. All cars are displayed in groups with the total price for the selected period.
2. Select your car of preference by clicking “book now” in order to proceed to the next step.
3. You can add any optional extras if needed (baby seat, booster seat, infant seats, satellite navigation system, extra drivers, excess luggage transfer, excess reduction on the extra notes part) and then submit your car hire booking request by clicking “continue to final step”.
4. Add your personal details in the form displayed. Submit your request by clicking “submit your booking enquiry”
An automated e-mail will be sent back to you confirming that your booking request has been sent successfully. Your booking enquiry details breakdown will be also sent to you along with bank transfer details if requested for an optional prepayment with an additional 5% discount.
When your request is confirmed, you will receive a second e-mail advising you accordingly.
Please ensure that you have entered your e-mail address correctly, otherwise we will be unable to confirm your booking.
Conclusion: Car rental companies have a reputation for hitting customers with hidden charges and hidden terms especially on the small print. No one likes surprises when it comes to bills and charges. When consumers sign up for a service, they should have all the facts at their fingertips to know what the cost will be and for which reason the cost might increase or change the terms. Several car hire companies don't make their terms and conditions clear enough on the internet for customers by advertising a low price and claiming that it includes all car rental insurances. However, upon vehicle delivery extra money is demanded for hidden insurances that where never mentioned over and above the headline prices that customers expected to pay and additionally demand an enormous amount for authorisation on the customer’s credit card to cover the excess.
This is not the same with Elephant rent a car as we can guarantee that our customers will enjoy their car rental with peace of mind as we clearly explain our terms and conditions which apply to every customer and every rental. We clearly display all applicable charges that our customers will pay, mandatory and optional, as we do not believe in hidden charges and terms so our customers receive the very best car rental experience through our high-quality vehicles and high standard of service.
Our objective is to give economy car hire rates with personal attention to each and every customer and we are committed to provide your holiday car hire of preference with the service and care you deserve and try to fit it in your budget because we believe in giving more for less.
We would like to thank you for taking the time to read our terms and conditions. Please feel free to contact us for any questions or concerns which are not answered by the information provided above.
We welcome you to become one of our treasured customers and friends because an “Elephant Never Forgets”.