Elephant Car Hire Terms and Conditions
1. Vehicles selected: Vehicles are booked by group, not by specific model and are subject to availability. Our company reserves the right to upgrade your vehicle without prior notice, if the model/group requested becomes unavailable for unforeseen circumstances. The rate will remain the same as originally quoted with no extra charge for the upgrade. However, we do consider your personal preferences and we will try our very best to provide you with the vehicle chosen. To ensure your personal preferences are met early booking is recommended.
2. Vehicle capacity: The number of people and luggage capacity given on our website is a guide only. While most of the vehicles given in our fleet can carry from 4 up to 8 people comfortably some vehicles have limited boot/cargo space. Vehicle luggage capacity depends on the luggage size, shape and the material made (plastic or fabric). If there are only 2-3 people travelling you may be able to use the back seats for extra luggage space, however this may not be possible if safety car seats are required, as extra seating room is occupied. In the case that all the vehicle seats are occupied either plan to travel light or book a larger size vehicle, it is more comfortable for passengers and suitable to carry your personal belongings. If you are in any doubt, we can advise you accordingly which vehicle is the most suitable for you in order to avoid any disappointment on delivery. Have in mind that vehicles are manufactured to carry people hence the seats and safety seat belts provided.
3. Vehicle tracking device: All the vehicles within our fleet are fitted with a GPS tracking device. These devices have been fitted with our customers safety in mind, which gives you piece of mind that our customers are our number 1 priority and concern. The GPS tracking devices are primarily being used for security reasons, that is to obtain the vehicle location in case of a theft. We will also use the tracker to pin point your exact location in case of any breakdown, this will enable us to locate you quickly and safely, thus removing the worry of you trying to find out your exact location. Additionally, the tracker enables active monitoring of a vehicle’s electrical systems and provides notifications in the event of a low battery or any unusual battery drain. If the vehicle’s battery is failing and this often results in getting stuck at most inconvenient times and places the tracker device will detect this and will trigger an alert before the battery voltage falls below the critical level.
4. Driving conditions: All drivers, main or additional regardless of age are obliged to hold a full valid driving license for at least 3 years. The maximum driver’s age is 75 years old and the minimum driver's age is 21 years old. A)Drivers with driving experience less than 3 years are required to pay an extra insurance premium of €10 per day in order to obtain the right to drive the rental vehicle. B)Drivers between 75-85 years are required to pay an extra insurance premium of €5 per day in order to obtain the right to drive the rental vehicle. C)Drivers between 21-24 years are required to pay an extra insurance premium of €10 per day in order to obtain the right to drive the rental vehicle.
5. Fuel policy: All rental vehicles from our company are delivered with ½ tank of fuel approximately. The cost of fuel is charged at the same rate as the petrol stations across the island. Fuel is not included in the rental cost and must be paid in addition to rental cost upon delivery. The rental vehicle must be returned with an empty fuel tank at the end of the rental. Please note that the cost of any unused fuel is non-refundable.
6. Optional extras: You can add any extras needed to your rental on the 3rd step of your online booking. A)We are able to supply child safety seats upon request with our vehicles. There are 2 categories available. Standard safety car seats and ISOFIX base safety car seats. In each category we have 4 types of safety seats such as: forward facing car seats, rear facing car seats (new-born), cushion booster seats and high back boosters. Standard safety car seats cost €2 per day extra and ISOFIX base safety car seats cost €5 per day extra. Be aware that child safety car seats are mandatory in Cyprus. Due to insurance rules and regulations, you will be required to fit the safety car seat yourself. B)We are also able to supply baby strollers (push chair) upon request with our cars. Each baby stroller costs €5 per day extra to hire. C)We are also able to supply satellite navigation systems with Cyprus road maps upon request with our cars. Each navigation system costs €2 per day extra to hire. D)We are also able to provide transfer for any excess luggage. This optional service must be booked in advance and can be obtainable for convenience reasons only as it provides assistance in transferring any excess luggage to your chosen destination. Whether you are travelling with golf clubs, baby prams, wheel chairs, mobility scooters or just excess luggage it’s no problem for us and is hassle free for you. E)Additional drivers may obtain the right to drive the rental vehicle at an extra charge of €2 per day. This charge may change according to the driver age and driving experience. F)After various customer requests for an extra safety package our customers now have the option to reduce their damage liability and automatically shift a part of their responsibility back to the rental company.
7. Payment: All rental costs are payable on delivery in € currency either by cash or bank card (debit or credit). The following bank cards are accepted: MasterCard, Visa card, Euro card and Traveller card. American express (Amex) and Maestro are not accepted. Additionally, our customers have the option to prepay their car rental by bank transfer and benefit an extra discount on the total cost. Be aware that the additional discount is given ONLY for prepayments by bank transfer. This extra discount is valid for 7 days ONLY after your booking request is confirmed. Bank details will be forwarded by email in order to benefit from the extra discount given for prepayments. Furthermore, a detailed breakdown of all charges and optional extras selected will be sent automatically by email after booking request is submitted.
8. Cancellation policy: If you have prepaid your rental, we require 15 days cancellation notice prior to your scheduled arrival date otherwise a cancellation fee will be applied. A)20% of the total amount paid will be deducted if you cancel 14 to 10 days prior to your scheduled arrival date. We will return the remaining 80% of the total amount paid on the same day of cancellation. B)50% of the total amount paid will be deducted if you cancel 9 to 5 days prior to your scheduled arrival date. We will return the remaining 50% of the total amount paid on the same day of cancellation. C)100% of the total amount paid will be deducted if you cancel 4 to 1 day prior to your scheduled arrival date or No show.
9. Occupied part of Cyprus: Our insurance company do not provide any insurance coverage for the rented vehicle or third-party claims for the occupied northern part of Cyprus. Even if you purchase an extra insurance coverage from the borders or follow the reporting guidelines in case of an accident in the occupied northern part of Cyprus the insurance becomes invalid. Please be aware that northern part authorities (police/insurance/borders) are not recognised by the Cyprus government therefore you will be fully responsible for any accidents, damages, recovery or additional costs that may arise.
10. Driver/Renters responsibility: When renting a vehicle, the driver/renter is responsible A)To inspect the rental vehicle before the rental period begins for any existing damage. B)To take in mind all traffic regulations and comply with the country’s law. C)For any traffic fines or recovery costs that may occur while the rented vehicle is in his/her possession. D)For taking appropriate measures to secure and safeguard the rented vehicle until the completion of the rental period as given in print on the rental agreement. E)To keep the rented vehicle interior as clean as possible, normal wear and tear is expected. Smoking is NOT allowed while using the rental vehicle. F)To contact the police, the insurance company and our company immediately in the event of a collision/accident or damage to the rental vehicle. Contact details will be given in print on the rental agreement. G)To contact the police, the vehicle insurance company and our company immediately in the case of theft of/to the rented vehicle. H)To change the vehicle tire in case of a tire puncture. All rental vehicles are equipped with a spare tire and necessary tools (scissor jack and spanner). You should contact our company for tire repairs on working days (Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 17:00). I)To return the rental vehicle in its original condition as provided on delivery. J)To read thoroughly the rental agreement given on delivery before signing. K)To take his/her own pictures showing the condition of the rental vehicle on delivery.
The driver/renter enters into the rental agreement voluntarily, with full knowledge of its effects and with his/her signature agrees with the charges set and accepts full responsibility for the rental vehicle and its equipment until the completion of the rental period as given in print on the rental agreement.
11. Collision damage waiver: CDW full insurance included in the rental cost shifts all responsibility for any extra charges from the driver/renter to the car rental company. This means that the car rental company waives the right to collect a high deductible from the driver/renter and most importantly it covers all the damages caused to the rental vehicle and third-party claims, therefore the driver/renter would NOT be held responsible for any repair fees or additional charges. Be aware that this level of insurance provides coverage ONLY for damages and third-party claims in the case that the rental vehicle is involved in a collision/accident with another vehicle on the public road and the correct reporting procedure is followed. The CDW full insurance with ZERO excess liability included is to protect you from the financial burden of an accident and third-party claims, but failure to follow the reporting guidelines and comply with the requirements under the country’s law means that the full insurance protection becomes invalid. You should always be aware that there are insurance limitations which mean that CDW full insurance protection becomes invalid. Additionally, you should be aware that unexpected damages that may occur to the rental vehicle without being involved in collision/accident with another vehicle on the public road are NOT covered by the CDW full insurance protection as given above therefore you will be required to pay an amount (damage liability) of money towards a claim.
12. Collision/accident reporting guidelines: In the case of a collision/accident with another vehicle on the public road, even if it is the authorised driver of the rented vehicle error which resulted in a collision, the renter/driver is fully covered by our insurance scheme with ZERO excess liability as long as the correct procedure as stated below is followed. Our insurance policy states that you are required to report the accident, regardless of the amount of damage. Vehicles involved must never be moved from the collision/accident scene until a collision/accident report is completed either by the police officer or by the vehicle insurance representative attending. Contact details will be given in print on the rental agreement. Any collision/accident with another vehicle on the public road where the damage is significant or not, must always be reported to the police and to the vehicle insurance company straight away and brief information must be provided of where the incident took place in order for them to attend the place of collision/accident. Any collision/accident where there is damage to property, third party or if someone is injured will require a police and vehicle insurance report. Injury claims especially have a way of escalating very quickly, even when they appear minor at the scene. Even if the police report is completed for the car collision/accident, you must also notify the vehicle insurance company. Please be aware that the police officer attending is not responsible to report the collision/accident to the auto insurance company so it is very important that you should report this. If the renter/driver fails to report the collision/accident to the police, the vehicle insurance company and our company immediately and comply with the requirements under the country's law, the insurance will become invalid and the renter/driver can be held liable up to the market value of the vehicle and third-party claims. The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of the damages and third-party claims.
13. Damage liability: Unexpected damages (as given below) that may occur to the rental vehicle without being involved in collision with another vehicle on the public road are not covered by the CDW full insurance protection therefore the driver/renter becomes responsible with a damage liability starting from €100 up to €700. A)Damages occurred to the rented vehicle in car parks, hotel car park etc. The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of the damages. B)Damages occurred to the rented vehicle by customers negligence. The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of the damages. C)Damages occurred to the rented vehicle by reversing in to a wall or stationary object, crash into a tree etc. The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of the damages. D)Damages occurred to the rented vehicle front/back bumper, side skirts due to high kerbs/road humps. The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of the damages. E)Damages occurred to the rented vehicle while driven on unpaved road/no tarmac/trail/off road. Two-wheel drive vehicles are forbidden for off road driving. The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of the damages. F)Damages occurred to the rented vehicle interior, seats, baby safety seats, upholstery. The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of the damages. G)Damages occurred to the rented vehicle keys.
In the case that the rented vehicle is returned with damage not recorded on the vehicle condition diagram or on the photos taken on delivery by our representative will be considered as new damages and the driver/renter will be held responsible. New damages can be verified by comparing the photos taken on delivery date and the photos taken on return date. Most vehicle damages can be determined by a visual check over the body, interior, tools and accessories of the vehicle. The repairs can be completed only by a licensed and authorised repairer (our company will select the repairer) who will carry out quality repairs using only genuine parts. For minor damage that do not require the replacement of parts or a panel, the repairer, will use a variety of repair tools in order to reinstate the vehicle to its original contours. Repairs to the vehicle will be carried out in a way to minimise your costs taking into account availability of parts and repairer workload. High customer service is crucial for our company and we are committed to providing the same level of service to each and every one of our customers, therefore we are obliged to repair our vehicles when damaged to ensure customer safety and satisfaction.
14. Damage liability reduction: After various customer requests for an extra safety package our customers have the option to reduce their damage liability and automatically shift a part of their responsibility back to the rental company. In actual fact when your damage liability is reduced it saves you from having to pay out the whole amount of a claim in case of unexpected damages that may occur without the rented vehicle being involved in an accident. It's difficult to know what is going to happen during your holidays but there is certainly a value to enjoying peace of mind while travelling. There are 2 options available for your damage liability reduction which you can request on the 3rd step of your online booking. A)Reduce damage liability from €700 to €400 at an extra charge of €5 per day. B)Reduce damage liability from €700 to €100 at an extra charge of €8 per day.
Please be aware that our company will not try to scare any customer into purchasing any extra insurance coverage. Our customers have the right to purchase their own independent car rental excess/damage/travel insurance from any insurance company of their choice. Where the rental company will charge costs as appropriate the renter may reclaim these costs via their individual insurance. A detailed receipt will be given if requested with these costs for the reclaim. You should always have in mind that even if you reduce the damage liability the security holding deposit is still needed, as there are insurance limitations.
15. Security holding deposit: The security holding deposit is standard with all the car rental companies which safeguard the car rental company for any additional costs that may arise during the rental period. We recommend adding the security holding deposit amount needed to your holiday budget as this is not included in the rental cost. Have in mind that you will not be able to use this amount during your holidays as this will be held until vehicle return. The security holding deposit will be fully refunded on vehicle return as soon as a member of our staff inspects the vehicle and ensures that is returned in its original condition as provided on delivery. The time it takes for the amount to be shown to the renter's account if held on bank card will depend on their banking institution rules and regulations. Normally renters should be able to see the amount in their account in approximately 2 working days. The security deposit can be settled either by cash or bank card (credit or debit) in € currency. The following credit or debit cards are accepted: MasterCard, Visa card, Euro card and Traveller card. A)Renters/drivers that drive on the left side of the road (steering wheel on right side) in their country must present as a guarantee on delivery a €250 security deposit until vehicle return. B)Renters/drivers that drive on the right side of the road (steering wheel on left side) in their country must present as a guarantee on delivery a €500 security deposit as driving in Cyprus is on the left, therefore an extra risk is added to the rental company. C)Renters/Drivers with driving experience less than 3 years or drivers between 21-24 years must present as a guarantee on delivery a €700 security deposit as an extra risk is added to the rental company.
16. Vehicle delivery: We are able to deliver 24/7 all over Cyprus as long as you have booked your rental vehicle in advance. A)If we are delivering at the airport our representative will meet you at the airport arrival hall holding the Elephant rent a car sign and escort you to your car. B)If we are delivering at the hotel that you are staying at our representative will meet you at the hotel reception hall holding the Elephant rent a car sign and escort you to your car. C)If we are delivering at your holiday villa/apartment our representative will meet you at the street address that you will provide to us on booking.
Our company provides vehicles without damage, however when unforeseen circumstances prevent this and a vehicle is rented out with existing damage, this damage will be recorded either on the vehicle condition diagram given in print on the rental agreement or by photos taken from our representative on delivery in the customer presence. The photos taken on delivery are to show the general condition of the vehicle before the rental period begins, which safeguards the customer firstly and the company secondly. In this way the rental company cannot claim any charges from the customer for any existing previous damages. These photos will be forwarded to the customer by email. When a customer signs up for a service (rental), they should have all the facts at their fingertips with the exact condition of the vehicle on delivery given by photos. Our company will not rent out vehicles with damage that in anyway causes the vehicle unsafe to drive or unfit for its purpose. The driver/renter has the right to refuse to conclude the rental agreement if the rental car is considered to be unsafe to drive.
17. Vehicle return: The vehicle must be returned in the same condition as provided on delivery. If the vehicle is returned out of hours the customer will still be responsible for the vehicle until a member of staff inspects the vehicle and ensures that is returned in its original condition as provided on delivery. Pictures will be taken showing the condition of the vehicle on return. Any damage not recorded on the delivery photos which have been forwarded by email to the customer on delivery date will be considered as new damage and the driver/renter will be held liable. New damages can be verified by comparing the photos taken on delivery date and the photos taken on return date. The vehicle condition photos with damages will be forwarded to the customer by email before we proceed to any charges. We also require that the vehicle must be returned with a clean interior, normal wear and tear is expected. If the vehicle interior is exceptionally dirty upon return or if there is damage to the seats, seat upholstery and carpets an additional charge for deep cleaning will be applied.
18. Rental agreement termination: The rental company has the right to refuse to conclude or terminate the rental agreement and take immediate possession of the rental vehicle. A)If the driver/renter is acknowledged to be under the influence of alcohol, medication or any other substances. B)If the driver/renter drives the rented vehicle on unpaved road/non-tarmac/trail/off road which can be unfit for its purpose. C)If the driver/renter disagrees with the rental agreement terms and conditions applied to every rental and every customer. D)If the driver/renter is acknowledged using the rented vehicle irresponsibly or for any illegal purpose. E)If the driver/renter intentionally causes damage to the rented vehicle and/or to third party. F)If the driver/renter is acknowledged to be unfit to drive the rented vehicle and can pose a threat to the public or to third party.
19. Insurance limitations: No insurance cover is provided in the case of: A)If the vehicle is driven into the occupied Northern part of Cyprus. B)If the vehicle is driven under the influence of alcohol, medication or any other substances. C)If the vehicle is driven on unpaved road/non-tarmac/trail/off road which can be unfit for its purpose. Two-wheel drive vehicles are forbidden for off road driving. D)If intentionally trying to damage the vehicle. E)If failed to take in mind traffic regulations. F)For lost or total damaged vehicle keys which are chip coded and expensive to replace. In this case the customer will be charged for the replacement key which can cost from €150 - €300 plus any associated transport costs. The charges will be dependent on the actual key/device. G)For unauthorised driving (drivers not stated on the rental agreement). H)For any unreported accidents or theft to/of the rental vehicle. I)For damages caused to the vehicle engine/gearbox/electronics due to customer negligence.
20. Complaints: In the event that you are disappointed with the vehicle provided or service or have any other reason to complain, we will attempt to assist you in order to reach an acceptable resolution before the end of your rental. You must immediately contact our company in writing by email on email@example.com and give us the opportunity to deal with your complaint in order to reach a satisfactory settlement for all justifiable complaints regarding your rental that you may have. Complaints received at the end of your rental will not be accepted as you deprive our company of the opportunity to attempt to rectify the complaint, you will therefore forfeit your right to compensation. If you have any complaint regarding any service, we provide you must inform us immediately in writing and in any event within 2 days of the provision of the service in question. We regret we cannot accept any liability if we are not so notified.
21. Insurances & Services included: All rental prices given through our web page include: A)Collision Damage Waiver on accident with another vehicle on the public road. B)Zero excess liability on accident with another vehicle on the public road. C)Rented car maintenance & service. D)Airport service charge. E)Rented car tires insurance. F)Unlimited mileage. G)Road taxes & VAT. H)24/7 Rented car delivery and return. I)Rented car replacement in case of breakdown. J)Rented car fire insurance (not for customer belongings). K)Rented car theft insurance (not for customer belongings). L)Rented car windscreen insurance. M)Rented car MOT inspection. N)24/7 Airport meet and greet.
We clearly display all applicable charges that our customers will pay, mandatory and optional, as we do not believe in hidden charges and terms so our customers receive the very best car rental experience through our high-quality vehicles and high standard of service.